Bike to Work Day is an annual event designed to bring first time bicycle commuters in contact with experienced riders who lead Bike Trains into downtown Indianapolis on safe routes from all around central Indiana.
Indy Bike Train Routes – check out the various routes to see if there is one near you. Click on a starting point marker to see more information about the route and contact information for the Bike Train Conductor. If you are already an experienced commuter and would like to help with an existing train or lead a new one please contact Pete Fritz
So, are you ready join us for Bike to Work Day this year?
1. Register at Eventbrite – this allows us to get an accurate count of participation and …..
2. Find the Indy Bike Train Routes you plan to join and contact the Bike Train Conductor, that way they know to look for you before they take off. Also ask about connecting up with them for the ride home.
3. Get ready:
a) Make sure your bicycle is ready. Air in the tires, brakes work, seat feels right. Take a test ride. Have a bike shop give it a tune up if needed.
b) Do you have comfortable, visible clothes to wear?
c) Do you have a helmet that fits?
What to expect:
1. The Bike Train Conductor will lead the route to ensure everyone follows the same path. They should select an experienced rider to ride last to make sure no one is left behind.
2. You all will follow road rules and obey traffic signs and lights whenever possible. Look out for each other.
3. If safely possible, talk to others on the ride. Learn why they are there. Make some new friends or set up to be riding buddies!
4. We will all join up at the Circle Monument. There will be Bike Indianapolis blend coffee from Bee Coffee Roasters and light breakfast provided by Au Bon Pain. Many bicycling organizations and other sponsors will have information. The mayor will speak. Our ecumenical group of religious leaders will provide the Blessing of the Bikes to conclude the event.
5. If you have time, hang around on the Circle to watch the Handlebar Hot Laps races presented by
Want to ride more than one day?
Check out our Bike-in-Breakfast Bike Trains. Basically the same as Bike to Work day, but are on the 3rd Friday of each Month from April through October (and other dates as indicated by the Bike Train Conductor) and end at the Indy Bike Hub / YMCA at the City Market in downtown Indianapolis (corner of Market and Alabama) with breakfast from 7:00-8:00 am, unless otherwise indicated by the Bike Train Conductor.